Admirals Sink Injured Stampede

Photo: Kate Harrison


The West Auckland Admirals pulled off a big win tonight against the Southern Stampede.  It was a very entertaining game that resulted in a 6-3 win for the Admirals, bringing them one step closer to getting into the finals.

The first period was a pretty spirited affair with the Admirals putting a lot of pressure on the Stampede for the first half of the first period.   Robbie Chamberlain put the Admirals on the board at the 13:24 mark with a spin-o-rama shot that beat Matt Swirtz putting the Admirals ahead 1-0.   The Admirals pick up a penalty soon after but Rick Parry was more than up to the task with a number of great saves.   The Stampede pick up a penalty at the 7 minute mark and Andy Hart comes close but no cigar.  Mario Mjelleli picks up his first of the evening with only 39 seconds left in the period to make it a 2-0 game at the end of the first period.

The second period began much like the first with good solid play on both sides with the Stampede holding a slight edge.  The Admirals defense cough up the puck in the slot and the Stampede make them pay with White putting the Stampede on the board.   The Admiral’s Ratcliffe made just a beautiful play to feed Mario Mjelleli’s second of the game to put the Admirals up 3-1 at 12:40.  The Stampede respond a few minutes later at 9:33, bringing the score to 3-2.   Dylan Dickson picks up a bad angle goal at 3:41 to bring the score to 4-2.  Just to make things interesting, Justin Daigle picked up a delay of game penalty by shooting the puck over the glass with 30 seconds left in the second period.  The Admirals manage to kill the penalty to close out the period ahead 4-2.

The Admirals manage to kill off the rest of the Daigle penalty to start the third period and the Stampede continued to pressure after the penalty was over.  The Stampede pick up a holding penalty at the 13 minute mark putting the Admirals on the powerplay.  The Stampede pick up two break aways while killing off this penalty and Rick Parry stoned them both times to keep the score 4-2.  The Stampede make it 4-3 at 6:54 on a goal by Argyle.  The Admirals waste little time in re-establishing their 2 goal cushion with a goal by goal by Andy Hart at 5:36, making the score 5-3.  Robbie Chamberlain picked up an interference penalty at 3:27 of the 3rd period giving the Stampede an opportunity to tie things up.  After some good penalty killing Andy Hart manages to get the puck in the Stampede zone, controlling the puck for an extended period of time before feeding Mario Mjelleli to give him his hat trick – 6-3 Admirals at the 1:44 mark of the 3rd period.  The Admirals manage to finish off the period and seal the deal for a 6-3 final score.

The three Admirals stars for the night were:

1. Mario Mjelleli

2. Andy Hart

3. Nick Craig

Final score 6-3 to the West Auckland Admirals.  Sunday night’s game is sure to be a barn burner with the Admirals fighting for a spot in the final round and defending Toa Kauhanga Riri Tio.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.